8 January 1998
Agenda item 71
RESOLUTIONS ADOPTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY
[on the report of the First Committee (A/52/600)]
52/38. General and complete disarmament
Relationship between disarmament and development
The General Assembly,
Recalling the provisions of the Final Document of the Tenth Special Session of the General Assembly Resolution S-10/2. concerning the relationship between disarmament and development,
Recalling also the adoption on 11 September 1987 of the Final Document of the International Conference on the Relationship between Disarmament and Development, United Nations publication, Sales No. E.87.IX.8.
Recalling further its resolutions 49/75 J of 15 December 1994, 50/70 G of 12 December 1995 and 51/45 D of 10 December 1996,
Bearing in mind the Final Document of the Eleventh Conference of Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries, held at Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, from 18 to 20 October 1995, A/50/752-S/1995/1035, annex III; see Official Records of the Security Council, Fiftieth Year, Supplement for October, November and December 1995, document S/1995/1035.
Stressing the growing importance of the symbiotic relationship between disarmament and development in current international relations,
1. Acknowledges the note by the Secretary-General A/52/228. and actions taken in accordance with the Final Document of the International Conference on the Relationship between Disarmament and Development;11
2. Urges the international community to devote part of the resources made available by the implementation of disarmament and arms limitation agreements to economic and social development, with a view to reducing the ever widening gap between developed and developing countries;
3. Invites all Member States to communicate to the Secretary-General, by 15 April 1998, their views and proposals for the implementation of the action programme adopted at the International Conference on the Relationship between Disarmament and Development, United Nations publication, Sales No. E.87.IX.8, para. 35. as well as any other views and proposals with a view to achieving the goals of the action programme, within the framework of current international relations;
4. Requests the Secretary-General to continue to take action, through appropriate organs and within available resources, for the implementation of the action programme adopted at the International Conference;
5. Also requests the Secretary-General to submit a report to the General Assembly at its fifty-third session;
6. Decides to include in the provisional agenda of its fifty-third session the item entitled "Relationship between disarmament and development".
67th plenary meeting
9 December 1997